Monday, October 29, 2012

Introduction

Hello! My name is Courtney Lawson.  Cumberlands still has my name listed as Courtney Hertsenberg, so for class reasons I will go by that name. I just changed my name before classes started in August so hopefully by next bi-mester my name will be back to Lawson!  I did not get married so no congratulations necessary, I did just the opposite, and I have been congratulating myself on that accomplishment for the past year and a half! :). 

I teach kindergarten and first grade special education at JA Caywood Elementary in the Kenton County School District.  I love my Caywood kids! I love kindergarten and especially first grade!  This is my 4th school year at Caywood, I spend about half of my day collaborating in the first grade classrooms and the other half of the day I take small groups of kindergarten and first grade students to my classroom for extra practice on the skills they need in their classrooms.  I am also in charge of my school news team consisting of 4th and 5th grade students who air a live news program daily. 

I love sports! I am in my 7th year of coaching basketball.  I coached for 3 years at a middle school before I moved on to coaching freshman at one of the high schools in my district but since starting my masters program I decided to move back down to coaching at the middle school level which is a little less time consuming.  I just couldn't give it up entirely!

I am currently in my 3rd class toward earning a masters degree from the University of the Cumberlands focusing on reading and writing.  I spend most of my day teaching in the area of reading so when choosing my masters program I decided to focus on an area that will truly make me become a better teacher.

When I am not working, doing school work, or coaching basketball I like to spend time with my two dogs, work in the garden because colorful flowers make me happy, and cook tasty recipes for my sweetie, Ryan. 

1 comment:

  1. Courtney, thanks! The text on this page is hard to read, though - make sure you have good contrast between font and background colors.

    ReplyDelete